- NVIDIA Corporation (Nasdaq: NVDA) has released the world's first interactive Microsoft DirectX 10 application in the form of the NVIDIA Cascades demo.
- The NVIDIA® Cascades demo will allow consumers with NVIDIA GeForce 8-series graphics cards and Windows Vista to experience stunning Direct X 10 graphics features on their computers for the first time.
- The NVIDIA Cascades demo is available now at:
- Users with NVIDIA GeForce 8-series graphics cards should first download the NVIDIA ForceWare 100.64 Vista drivers from one of the following locations:
- Every aspect of the Cascades demo demonstrates next-generation features enabled by DirectX 10, including the generation of content, dynamic particle systems, and high quality scene rendering.
- Procedural Geometry Creation: Rock structures are not only rendered, but also constructed by the GeForce 8800. This permits the user to move up or down through infinite virtual space, with the GPU continuously streaming out colossal chunks of rock in a wide variety of random shapes.
- Dynamic Particle Physics: The GeForce® 8800's geometry shaders perform all of the physics calculations for the water, allowing the waterfalls to collide with the rock surface and to form rivers flowing around the features of the rock. Water particles are generated, propagated, and retired on the GPU, leaving the CPU free to perform other tasks.
- Displacement Mapping: Improved displacement mapping techniques use a simple height map in a complex pixel shader to display detailed cracks and bumps that are able to occlude each other, resulting in an extremely high level of realism on the rock surface.
- NVIDIA® GeForce® 8 Series graphic processing units (GPUs) include all required hardware functionality defined in the Microsoft Direct3D® 10 specification, with full support for the DirectX 10 unified shader instruction set and Shader Model 4 capabilities. GeForce 8 Series GPUs are the first and only shipping DirectX 10 GPUs, and are the reference GPUs for DirectX 10 API development and certification.
- GeForce 8 Series GPUS include:
- GeForce 8800 GTX - $599-$649
- GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB - $399-$449
- GeForce 8880 GTS 320MB - $299-$349
- DirectX 10 is included with Microsoft Windows Vista and delivers unparalleled levels of graphics realism and film-quality effects for games, all rendered in real-time on a GeForce 8 Series DirectX 10-capable GPU.
NVIDIA Corporation is the worldwide leader in programmable graphics processor technologies. The Company creates innovative, industry-changing products for computing, consumer electronics, and mobile devices. NVIDIA is headquartered in Santa Clara, CA and has offices throughout Asia, Europe, and the Americas. For more information, visit www.nvidia.com.
For further information, contact:
Certain statements in this press release including, but not limited to the benefits, impact, performance, pricing and features of GeForce 8800 Series graphics cards and Microsoft DirectX 10 are forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause results to be materially different than expectations. Such risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, delays in ramping new products into production; software bugs; manufacturing defects; delays in manufacturing or delivery of products; developments of new products and technologies by competitors; unexpected loss of performance when system builders integrate NVIDIA products and technologies; continued acceptance and use of new technologies and products; the impact of competitive products and pricing alternatives; changes in industry standards and interfaces; as well as other factors detailed from time to time in the reports NVIDIA files with the Securities and Exchange Commission including its Form 10-Q for the quarter ended October 29, 2006. Copies of reports filed with the SEC are posted on our website and are available from NVIDIA without charge. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance and speak only as of the date hereof, and, except as required by law, NVIDIA disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements to reflect future events or circumstances.
Copyright© 2016 NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved. All company and/or product names may be trade names, trademarks, and/or registered trademarks of the respective owners with which they are associated. Features, pricing, availability, and specifications are subject to change without notice.
Note to editors: If you are interested in viewing additional information on NVIDIA, please visit the NVIDIA Press Room at http://www.nvidia.com/page/press_room.html