MSC Nastran 2013 Acceleration on NVIDIA Kepler GPUs
|NVIDIA and MSC Software have collaborated to deliver the power of GPU computing for Nastran customers. Available in the latest release of MSC Nastran 2013 (and in MSC Nastran 2012), NVIDIA GPU acceleration enables faster results for more efficient computation and job turnaround times, delivering more license utilization for the same investment.
|Improve Productivity with GPU-Accelerated MSC Nastran 2013:
> MSC Nastran 2013 for structural response simulations
Recent performance studies conducted together with MSC engineers demonstrated that the Tesla K20X (and Tesla K20) GPU acceleration of Intel Xeon (Sandy Bridge) CPUs resulted in speed-ups in the range of 3-6X with a single GPU over a serial run and in the range of 1.5-2X with 2 GPUs over a 8 core DMP run.
The GPUs supported with the MSC Nastran 2013 implementation are the NVIDIA Kepler and Fermi GPUs including Tesla K20X, Tesla K20m/K20c, Tesla M2090, Tesla C2075, and Quadro 6000. Linux and Windows 64-bit platforms are supported.
Any 'fat' BLAS3 code path would be potential candidate for GPU computing. In MSC Nastran 2013, several solution sequences are impacted to varying levels by the sparse matrix factorization on the GPUs - SOL101 (linear statics), SOL103 (normal modes), SOL108 (direct frequency), SOL111 (modal frequency), SOL200 (design sensitivity and optimization) and SOL400 (nonlinear) fall into this category.
Recommended Professional Products
The powerful GPU computing capabilities in MSC Nastran 2013 were developed on NVIDIA Tesla and Quadro GPU computing products and require the use of recent CUDA-capable NVIDIA GPUs, such as the Tesla Kepler products and supporting CUDA v5.0 or above (learn more).
Tesla and Quadro GPU computing products are designed to deliver the highest computational performance with the most reliable numerical accuracy, and are available and supported by the world's leading professional system manufacturers.
|Highest Computational Performance
- High-speed double precision operations
- Large dedicated memory
- CUDA-Accelerated math libraries
- High-speed bi-directional PCIe communication
- NVIDIA GPUDirect™ with InfiniBand
- ECC memory
- Rigorous stress testing
- Nastran QA testing
- Professional support network
- Large and growing developer community
- OEM system integration
- Long-term product lifecycle
- 3 year warranty
- Cluster & system management tools
- Windows remote desktop support
Each node with
- 2 CPU sockets (6 to 8 cores each); recommend 1 GPU per CPU socket
- Total 128 to 256 GBs of CPU memory
- Disks: 6x 600 GB SAS 15K disks (scratch; RAID0)
- GPU OPTIONS: 2 x Tesla K20X/K20m
- Total 2 CPU sockets; recommend 1 GPU per CPU socket ;
- Total 96-128 GBs of CPU memory or more;
- Disks: 3x 600 GB SAS 15K disks (scratch; RAID0)
- Tesla K20c
- Quadro K4000/K5000 for pre/post
- Quadro 6000 for compute and pre/post
NVIDIA Tesla and Quadro products are available from all major professional workstation OEMs. Only Tesla GPU computing products are designed and qualified for compute cluster deployment.
Buy Optimized Tesla Systems
NVIDIA partners with system vendors to provide optimal solutions that accelerate your HPC workloads. Buy now and enjoy all the benefits of GPU-acceleration with MSC Nastran.
For a complete list of Tesla Preferred Providers, click here.